Saturday, October 31, 2015

We've all made it to month Fifteen... Amazingly.

It seemed like this month started off with a bang, a relaxing long weekend beach babymoon to Rocky Point with Jonathan. We went, we enjoyed, we slept, we played by the sun, we slept some more, and we fed only ourselves for four glorious days. On Sunday, feeling homesick for the girls, we packed up and headed back to get some sweet cuddles and kisses from our mini munchkins.... But little did we know, something happened to our sweet mini munchkins! There was an abduction.... those sweet, fun loving, laughing little girls. They were replaced by screaming, crying, flailing, inch-worming across the floor in 24/7 furious toddler tantrums (forgive me) but, monsters. This might sound like I'm being harsh, but seriously, this shit has been rough. Two screaming irrational children is extremely challenging... however hard I've thought things might have been before, this was hard in a whole new  freaking way. Want to stand up and walk to the bathroom? "NO!!! WHAAAA!" tantrum, Close the cabinet door? NOOOOO!!

As far as I could tell, I could do nothing right this month. In the Mini's opinions, Mommy was the only thing they wanted, but just so they could scream to me how much I sucked at not doing what they wanted. This started on October 5th, today is October 30th.... and the craziness just now seems to have died down a bit and their happier selves appear to be slowly returning. So like I said, what a freaking crazy circus of a month in parenthood. For a while there I didn't think I was going to make it.... but maybe with a little luck, my wonderful husband, and a lot more help, I'm going to make it through this rude awakening into toddlerdom. New parents out there cuddling your newborns.. brace yourselves, kids/toddlers are amazing.. and holy heck are they hard as balls too, and LOUD, really really LOUD.  Sometimes, when I'd done all I could to try to redirect from a random meltdown cause I was the jerk that shut the dishwasher door and they obviously had told me to leave it open for them... I would just let them scream, try to catch their bodies when they'd fling themselves onto their back  crashing towards the ground in a dramatic fury and cry while inching across the room for twenty minutes... I'd wonder what our neighbors must think: I'd delude myself into thinking perhaps someone would feel sorry for me... but it's more likely they were just glad they weren't me.

So as this month has gone on, I tried really hard to collect all the positive things I could from the days, and then reflect back on those moments to remind myself that even in the thick of toddler twins dragging this pregnant mama and daddy through the ringer.. amazing things happened too. Both of the girls took their first steps this month! They aren't full on walking around everywhere yet, but they walk across the room, stand up and down, and soon will figure out it's a better way to get around than their current passion of knee walking. They've both had a language explosion! What started as "Ball" and "Baby" has now turned into, signing, food, hug, more, and all done. They say things like "bark, dog, meow, dada, bye, duck, and mama" They wave, blow kisses, and my favorite new action: they come over and give hugs! It melts me every single time...  So there you have it, the light at the end of the tunnel that has been October, steps, blowing kisses, and hugs. 

Tomorrow is Halloween, the girls are going as Toddlers in Halloween Onesies. As my friend Anna said, no Pinterest awards this holiday for me, but we're all alive to see November and for now that is good enough.






























No comments:

Post a Comment