Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Sixteen Months and the last month of 2015.

Perhaps not the greatest day for their photo,
better luck next time. 
Every month I sit here at my computer and try to think about the past month with the girls. It's harder than you think to reflect and some how manage to find the words to articulate what happened in the past month... what changed? How am I feeling? Is there an overwhelming sentiment regarding the comings and goings of the last thirty days? Sometimes (like today) I'm just tired and I have to think really hard because my brain feels like mush, while other months I think about the post for days in advance....

October was really challenging and, as you all who follow along surmised, the girls had a momentary pause in sanity and tried really hard to take everyone nearby down with them. But we did survive! And I am happy to report while November started off with a winter cold for everyone, it was still better than the month before. We spent some time in Flagstaff with Grandma Julie, we've been enjoying the Arizona winter weather and playing on our soft green lawn in the backyard. Both of the girls are great little walkers now, ready to journey to the faraway places on their two little feet (protected by flowery pink sneakers). Samantha in her true fashion went from barely crawling, to speed crawling for sport.. and walking has been absolutely no different. Let's just say she might be the next sprinter in the family... cause holy cow, don't look away for a second! That girl can really MOVE! Jonathan generally takes the girls to park every afternoon before dinner, which is about half a mile away, and Samantha has started walking next to the stroller on the way to the park... and she's now making it (almost) the entire way on her own two feet!

Meanwhile, Summer's command of language has exploded and she knows and uses so many words. She really love animals and can answer "What sounds does a ______ make?" without fail. "Moo, Woof woof, Meow, Raawr!" Between her and her sister, I think the days of quiet times are coming to a distinct close. Soon every moment will be filled with chatter about everything under the sun... I cannot wait to finally know what the heck has been going inside of their sweet little heads for all these months!

December is here again. Last year in Portland, we were cutting down a gigantic Christmas tree at the farm, drinking hot cocoa by the fire, and reflecting on what an amazing few months we'd had with the girls as part of our family. We were starting to get the hang of this parent thing and contemplating where the next year would take us. This year, we're sitting in the Arizona sun on a green lawn wearing flip flops and preparing for baby #3's arrival in the six weeks or so. The insanity of this has yet to wear off, Summer and Sam are still such young little ones themselves... I look at them and am amazed how much they've grown and changed, but they are still the same little squishy lumps I brought home from the hospital, I still look at their cheeks and can't help myself wanting to shower them with kisses and hug them tightly till they wiggle away from me. I can't help but run my fingers through their hair breathe in their mostly sweet little scent.

I'll likely have one more post before our family of four + Dahlia, turns into Stern, party of five. I'm excited, and I'm emotional knowing that things will change. My time with just my two little minis is coming to an end. I know it's going to be great, and yet I'm feeling nostalgic trying to make all the memories we can together.... and know what became of the last year has been extraordinary. The adventure ahead with all of us girls plus Jon is going to be unimaginable.

Happy Holidays from a very pregnant me to you.



























2 comments:

  1. Too many cute photos to even comment on. They are still personality plus and it shines through each picture. Selfishly I hope you are able to continue posts after baby three arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many cute photos to even comment on. They are still personality plus and it shines through each picture. Selfishly I hope you are able to continue posts after baby three arrives.

    ReplyDelete