Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year and Happy Five Months


The years have seemed short, but days go slowly by - Shins

The girls are five months on New Years Day and the year has been so full of amazement and change I'm having a hard time putting it into words. A little over a year ago Jonathan and I sat in a restaurant downtown celebrating our anniversary, two glasses of champagne sat in front of us, only one drunk and we toasted to the best news of our lives.  

Every year we have moments that stick out to us, some years more than others, have so many memories we can't believe they all happened over the course of twelve months. This year has been one of the years for me. So filled with memories I can't even begin to wrap my head around all that has changed in my life. But more than thinking about how my life has changed, what I reflect on the most about this year is how the year has changed me. I'm not the same person I was last year, of course we never are, but I mean it in a life altering way...I am fundamentally different now. I feel differently about things, the things that used to matter to me don't matter as much, and things that didn't matter at all before, are ridiculously important to me now. I started this year not knowing anything about motherhood, and now I'm a mother... to twins. 

This year has been the most fantastically challenging year of my life, and I am grateful for every character building moment it has given me.  This year has taught me a lot about myself, writing this blog has helped me reflect on the things I want for my children and the things I want for myself in the coming year. So as I say goodbye to this blessed year and welcome the changes that are to come.. I begin 2015 with a few intentions: 

I will be more present and intentional with my time, whatever it is I'm doing, there is beauty even in the mundane and monotonous tasks and I have spent far too much time with my head in my phone and not enough with heart in the task. 

Take time to validate the people that I love by saying thank you, telling them how grateful I am for all they have done for me now, and in the past, telling people they are doing good work, even for the small stuff. We all need a cheerleader, and being a good one is a daily practice. 

and at my husbands request.. and because we're moving this year, taking a stab at being more neighborly. We've been blessed with amazing neighbors since moving to Portland, some have developed into friendships I am positive will stand the test of time. I hope in the coming year, we make connections and develop a since of community and belonging like we've found here. 

Finally, Summer & Samantha.. Happy 1st New Year!! I am afraid you cannot stay awake till midnight and watch the ball drop! But I hope you are sleeping soundly and dreaming about sweet puppies frolicking, mommy cuddles and kisses, waltzing on daddy's shoulder, and all the people who love you dearly. You, my sweet little girls, are the best gift I have ever received. I cannot wait to begin our 2015 adventure together, may we find the extraordinary in every ordinary day. Love, your ridiculously proud mom

Bring it 2015.































No comments:

Post a Comment